Thursday, August 21, 2014

(Review) The Girl from the Well by Rin Chupeco

 
 
Title: The Girl from the Well
Author: Rin Chupeco
Pages: 261
Published: April 4, 2014
PublisherSourcebooks
Review Copy: Yes

Why did I want this book?
I discovered this book on goodreads.
Synopsis:
A dead girl walks the streets.
She hunts murderers.
Child killers, much like the man who threw her body down a well three hundred years ago. And when a strange boy bearing stranger tattoos moves into the neighborhood so, she discovers, does something else. And soon both will be drawn into the world of eerie doll rituals and dark Shinto exorcisms that will take them from American suburbia to the remote valleys and shrines of Aomori, Japan. Because the boy has a terrifying secret - one that would just kill to get out.

The Girl from the Well is A YA Horror novel pitched as "Dexter" meets "The Grudge", based on a well-loved Japanese ghost story.

Cover:
The cover image is pretty but not spooky at all.

Title:
The title on the other hand fits very well! Oh, oh, why did I want to read and review a horror book?!

Writing style:
The writing style is awesome. I was totally blown away after a couple of pages and couldn't stop reading. The book is written in first person and from the dead girls point of view. Funny, enthralling and yes: a lot of spooky situations take turns. The Girl from the Well has kept me reading late into the night because I didn't want to take a break at a creepy scene. I mean, I have two mirrors and a tv in my bedroom. You never know ...

Characters:
The book has three important characters. There is dead girl (I won't tell you her name because she is based on an old Japanese legend). Her character development is great. It looks like she is still a little  bit traumatized from the circumstances of her death. She needs to count everything she sees.
We also have Tarquin. He is half American / half Japanese and lives in the States. There is a great story related to him as well because he gets followed by a mysterious woman since he was a child. A lot of strange things happen around him. The death girl is fascinated by him (sorry, no romance) and discovers a huge secret. Last but not least we have Callie, she is Tarquins cousin and worried about him because he seems to be ill in a mental way. She doesn't know, what she gets herself into until it is too late. Callie starts to see ghosts too.

Noteworthy:
The book is perfect for horror fans. There is a lot to be afraid of in this story and also Japan-lovers will enjoy it!

Stuck in my Head:
„I am the fate that people fear to become. I am what happens to good persons and to bad persons and to everyone in between. I am who I am.“ (p. 264)
What I didn't like:
Nothing to complain. Well, if you are afraid in the dark and can't take bloody scenes, you might should choose another book.

Quick and dirty:
I am a total chicken when it comes to horror movies (and books). When I received my galley, I had a moment of oh-my-god-what-have-you-done????!!! But then, after a couple of pages, I was hooked on. So, seriously, don't miss this story!

Thank you to ...
... Rin Chupecowho gave me this review copy in exchange of a honest review!

No comments :

Post a Comment