Wednesday, August 27, 2014

(Review) Fireborn - Souls of Fire by Keri Arthur

 
 
Title: Fireborn - Souls of Fire
Author: Keri Arthur
Pages: 391
Published: July 1, 2014
PublisherPiatkus
Review Copy: Yes

Why did I want this book?
I discovered this book in the new LBB-cataloge and it sounded promising since I am into this kind of genre.
Synopsis:
Emberly has spent a good number of her many lives trying to save humans. So when her prophetic dreams reveal the death of Sam, a man she once loved, she does everything in her power to prevent that from happening. But in saving his life, she gets more than she bargained for. Sam is working undercover for the Paranormal Investigations Team, and those who are trying to murder him are actually humans infected by a plague-like virus, the Crimson Death-a by-product of a failed government experiment that attempted to identify the enzymes that make vampires immortal. Now, all those infected must be eliminated. But when Emberly's boss is murdered and his irreplaceable research stolen, she needs to find the guilty party before she goes down in flames...

Cover:
The cover image is really pretty. One look and you know that it's the same genre than Dark Hunter and Black Dagger.

Title:
Fireborn is a fitting title, it is not about vampires this time but phoenixes! Okay, we have vampires in this book too ...

Writing style:
Firstly, I liked the book but the writing style couldn't convince me. It sounds too clinical without any personality and it was written too hasty. I don't know how this could have happened since it is written in first person. It's a pity. I really had to search for a fitting quote. Usually I find them along the way.

Characters:
The two most important characters are Emberly, who is a phoenix and Sam, her ex-boyfriend. Emberly never got over him, mostly because he accused her of cheating. But Sams life is endangered and she needs to help him (He's not so happy about that). A dangerous virus keeps infecting people in the city and Sam is investigating. It looks like a secret experiment went badly wrong...

Noteworthy:
The book is perfect for fans of J.R. Ward and Sherrilyn Kenyon! The writing style isn't as good as theres but but the story is worth a try!

Stuck in my Head:
„Thank you; thank you, I thought, and called to the fire. Only this time, instead of using the flames that burned within me, I called to the heat of the world around us - the fire of the earth and the energy in the air - gathering it, weaving, then casting it out to form a circle that was bright and fierce but also surreal.“ (p. 194)
What I didn't like:
As I said, I was a bit disappointed by Keri Arthur's writing skills.

Quick and dirty:
A great book for in-between. Not the best writing style in the world, but not the worst either. I personally liked the fact, that the book is about a phoenix. And yes, there are a lot erotic scenes in it but not as tough as in other books of this genre.

Thank you to ... 
... Little Brown Books UK, who gave me this review copy in exchange of a honest review!

No comments :

Post a Comment