Monday, July 7, 2014

(Review) Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

 
 
Title: Pushing the Limits
Author: Katie McGarry
Pages: 416
Published: April 30, 2013
PublisherHarlequin Teen
Review Copy: Yes

Why did I want this book?
Another blogger recommended it to me and I asked for a review Copy. Thankfully, I got one from Oetinger, a German publisher.
Synopsis:
So wrong for each other…and yet so right. No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth. But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can PUSH THE LIMITS and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her HOW TO LOVE AGAIN.

Cover:
Usually I don't like covers with real people on it. I think it keeps you from imagining your own protagonists. I still think, it is pretty but it shows you very detailed, how Echo and Noah will look like.

Title:
What am I going to say? They are definitely going to push the limits in this book!

Writing style:
The writing style is very fluent and easy to read. It has a lot of sarcasm it it. So if you in this kind of humor, you will love the story. Well, I did! Echo and Noah both have a quick tongue and I liked there fights. It was so funny!

Characters:
Echo lives with her father and Ashley, her stepmother who happens to be her former nanny. She still thinks, that Ashley is responsible for her parents divorce. Now, since her stepmother is pregnant, she feels unwanted. Her dad rules her live, she is stucked in classes she is not interested in and taking art classes seems father away than ever. On the other hand we have Noah. He basically excels in everything Echo would never think of doing. Skipping school, using girls for one-night-stands and smoking weed. But Noah isn't all bad, he cares for his younger brothers which live with foster parents like he does. He also wants to adopt them, but this seems impossible considering his lifestyle. However, both characters really grow up during the story. They have hard choices to make and at the end it doesn't feel so unrealistic, that they fall in love.

Noteworthy:
This book is perfect for contemporary YA lovers. It really fits the genre.

Stuck in my Head:
"I like you. I. Like. You. I'll admit you're annoying. Sometimes you agitate me to the brink of insanity, but you can throw it back at me like no one else. When you laugh, I want to laugh. When you smile, I want to smile. Hell, I want to be the one to make you smile."
What I didn't like:
Sometimes I thought, talking to an adult would have been a good idea. At least, that is, what I would have done. But it is Echos story and not mine.

Quick and dirty:
It is a fun read and I enjoyed every minute of it. Time was flying while I read it. Yes, it is a love story and I usually don't like this genre because it gets cheesy pretty fast. But not this time. This time it was more like a normal young adult book. It was funny and still touching. They have a lot of conflicts to solve, but it never felt staged. Definitely worth reading!


No comments :

Post a Comment