Wednesday, July 9, 2014

(Review) Champion by Marie Lu

 
 
Title: Champion
Author: Marie Lu
Pages: 288
Published: November 11, 2013
PublisherPenguin UK
Review Copy: Yes

Why did I want this book?
I was disappointed after reading Legend, but Prodigy was a lot better. Therefore I had to read the last book too.
Synopsis:
The explosive finale to Marie Lu's New York Times bestselling LEGEND trilogy - perfect for fans of THE HUNGER GAMES and DIVERGENT!He is a Legend.She is a Prodigy. Who will be Champion? June and Day have sacrificed so much for the people of the Republic - and each other - and now their country is on the brink of a new peaceful existence. June is back in the good graces of the Republic, working within the government's elite circles while Day has been assigned a high level military position. But when a plague outbreak, deadlier than any other, causes panic in the Colonies, and war threatens the Republic's border cities, the two are thrown back together. June is the only one who knows the key to her country's defence. But saving the lives of thousands will mean asking the one she loves to give up everything he has.

Cover:
The cover is pretty! It took me a second glance to discover the bullet hole.

Title:
Well, I didn't know what to do with this title. I mean: They are at war and not in a competition! There might be a winner at the end but definitely no champion. This war will only produced losers in my opinion.

Writing style:
Basically I'm repeating myself but Marie Lu's writing style is great. As I already said i my reviews od Legend and Prodigy: Sometimes it was the only thing that got me going. The book is written in first person and Day and June are telling the story in turns. Champion was more emotional than the last books. Specially when it comes to Days brother. It was captivating but a little bit predictable sometimes.

Characters:
Day lives with his little brother in San Francisco and just wants to be left alone. He suffers from his illness and he isn't able to let Eden out of his sight. Eden was great. He's very grown up, considering his young age. June got on my nerves sometimes in this book. The influence of the politicians around her changed her personality. She seems to be superficial and calculating. Thank god this changes towards the end. Thomas was fascinating too. His character development is great and his fanaticism was very frightening!

Noteworthy:
Everybody who didn't like the first book (like me) should keep reading. It get's better!

Stuck in my Head:
“I feel so out of place here. No matter how much money the Republic throws at me, I will forever be the boy from the streets.”
What I didn't like:
The solution at the end was a little bit too smooth and obscure for my taste.

Quick and dirty:
A series, that starts mediocre but improves with every book. A lot of questions and problems get answered and solved towards the end. The characters developed during every book and the story is convincing. Still, I wouldn't rate it 5 stars because I had the feeling, that something was missing. I can't say, what is was. The book was good but not extraordinary, even though a great finale and I am looking forwards to Marie Lu's new books!

Thank you to ... 
... Penguin UK, who gave me this review copy in exchange of a honest review!

No comments :

Post a Comment