Tuesday, July 8, 2014

(Review) If I Stay by Gayle Forman

 
 
Title: If  Stay
Author: Gayle Forman
Pages: 224
Published: November 11, 2013
PublisherDefinitions
Review Copy: Yes

Why did I want this book?
Everybody kept telling me that I have to read this book. Since the movie is coming out this year, I gave in.
Synopsis:
In the blink of an eye everything changes. Seventeen ­year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall what happened afterwards, watching her own damaged body being taken from the wreck. Little by little she struggles to put together the pieces- to figure out what she has lost, what she has left, and the very difficult choice she must make. Heartwrenchingly beautiful, this will change the way you look at life, love, and family. Mia's story will stay with you for a long, long time.

Cover:
The cover is awesome! But it looks so sad (specially after reading the book).

Title:
The title couldn't have been better chosen. Staying or not it the main conflict in this story.

Writing style:
The book is written in first person from Mias point of view. This makes it even harder to read this story. You'll experience the accident and her treatments at the hospital first hand. I cried my exes out while reading If I Stay. The writing style is highly emotional and you'll still have to think of Mias story after finishing it.

Characters:
Mia is a really strong character even though she doesn't see it. I suffered a lot during this read. Honestly, I am not sure how my decision would have been. Her situation feels unbearable.
Adam, her boyfriend, was great too. It is good to know, that he is always there for her. Another noteworthy character his Mias grandfather. He seems so be very wise and a mainstay in her life.

Noteworthy:
I promised myself not to cry but it didn't work! This book will sweep you away! It isn't an easy read specially after reading the acknowledgments. Gayle Forman lost some friends in a car accident. She is still asking herself if it was a deliberate decision of her friends daughter to go.

Stuck in my Head:
It's okay,' he tells me. 'If you want to go. Everyone wants you to stay. I want you to stay more than I've ever wanted anything in my life.' His voice cracks with emotion. He stops, clears his throat, takes a breath, and continues. 'But that's what I want and I could see why it might not be what you want. So I just wanted to tell you that I understand if you go. It's okay if you have to leave us. It's okay if you want to stop fighting.
What I didn't like:
Nothing to complain!

Quick and dirty:
I was warned, that this book will be very emotional. And it was! It is so, so sad and still beautiful. You'll fall in love with Mia and her family instantly which makes it even harder loosing them. Of course I won't tell you which decision Mia will make. It is a great book and I'll highly recommend it to everybody who enjoyed The Fault in Our Stars.


Thank you to ... 
... Random House UK, who gave me this review copy in exchange of a honest review!

No comments :

Post a Comment