Wednesday, December 31, 2014

(Review) Unremembered by Jessica Brody

 
Title: Unremembered
Author: Jessica Brody
Pages: 307
Published: March 1, 2014
PublisherMacmillan Children's Books
Review Copy: Yes

Why did I want this book?
The synopsis sounded promising.
Synopsis:
When Freedom Airlines flight 121 went down over the Pacific Ocean, no one ever expected to find survivors. Which is why the sixteen-year-old girl discovered floating amid the wreckage - alive - is making headlines across the globe. She has no memories of boarding the plane. She has no memories of her life before the crash. She has no memories...period. Seraphina struggles to piece together her forgotten past and discover who she really is. But with every clue comes more questions. Her only hope is a strangely alluring boy who claims to know her. Who claims they were in love. But can she really trust him? And will he be able to protect her from the people who have been making her forget?

Cover:
The cover image is very pretty. To be honest, I usually only read books with interesting covers. A beautiful cover is most often the main reason for me, to pick up a book.

Title:
I am not so sure about the title. I mean it is her who lost her memory, but the other people still remember her.

Writing style:
The book is written from Seraphinas point of view. It is an easy read, so I was done during one day. However I was missing some things, specially the WHY?? Even after the end, I wasn't satisfied with the answers I got. I know that there will be a sequel but still ... I love sci-fi but I think it only feels real with a lot of background-stuff and depth.

Characters:
The character development was okay, but nothing new. We have a girl who lost her memory and a guy who seems to know everything but refuses to tell her. And yes, he feels the urge to protect her from the bad people who are after her, because she is special. Surprise ...
I am pretty sure almost everybody has read a book with characters like that before. The bad guys where a little bit predictable, but I won't tell you more about them, because I don't want to spoil the book.

Noteworthy:
I know, I was complaining about the character development, but it is still an interesting book. It kept me hooked on after all.

Stuck in my Head:
Or at the very least, you'll remember that there once was a moment. And that it was perfect.
What I didn't like:
The author seemed to try to mix some genres which didn't end up well. On the one hand it is a good idea, on the other, it was just too much and felt awkward. After reading the synopsis, I expected a book about a girl who was in a plain crash and now has to discover who she is. Well, you'll get everything except this.

Quick and dirty:
It is a good YA book, that could have used a little more depth. But still, I could live with the characters and I really liked the writing style.
However, I was looking forward to something new, which I didn't get.
Thank you to ... 
... Macmillan, who gave me this review copy in exchange of a honest review!

No comments :

Post a Comment