Wednesday, November 26, 2014

(Review) Spiders by Tom Hoyle

 
Title: Spiders
Author: Tom Hoyle
Pages: 293
Published: November 6, 2014
PublisherMacmillan Children's Books
Review Copy: Yes

Why did I want this book?
I liked Thirteen, so I definitely had to read the sequel.
Synopsis:
Adam may have survived once, but a cult still has him in its sights. And this time he may not escape with his life...Abbie's dad is an undercover agent, tasked with exposing dangerous cults. He's normally able to maintain his distance, but this time Abbie's worried he's in too deep. Megan was sure she and Adam were safe, but now he's gone missing on a school ski trip in Scotland and she's the only one who can help him ...The web is closing in around them ...

Cover:
The cover design is very similar to the the first book, except that it is orange instead of yellow and there are spiders on it. This time, you will also find the name of the author on the front.

Title:
I am not going to tell you much, but this time, it is all about spiders and other creepy things!

Writing style:
Well, the writing style is as fluent as in the first book and we have different point of views again. There is also a new character named Abbie, who gets involved in a new cult wo is (of course) after Adam. We also experience the story though Adams, Megans and Olivers (another new character) eyes.

Characters:
Adam tries to live a normal life which is easier said than done, because everyone tries to be too nice to him. This always reminds him of what happened. But he handles things very well until he has the feeling, that he is in trouble again. Unfortunately, nobody believes him because they think, that he is just overreacting.
I liked Abbie a lot. She is a strong and interesting girl, who even outshone Megan by her great character development. I wasn't sure, whether I should speak about Oliver or not, but I guess it is better not to, because it would reveal to much of the plot.

Noteworthy:
This book is the sequel to Thirteen.

Stuck in my Head:
I'm being drugged, thought Adam, his thoughts shutting down. This isn't real.” (p. 180)
What I didn't like:
Unfortunately, the story was almost the same than in the first book. Of course there are a couple of differences, but in the end, it is another cult, trying to kill Adam.

Quick and dirty:
A good sequel I can recommend, but it isn't a completely new story. Some things from Thirteen are going to be explained and there is a good explanation for the second cult. But still, I expected a little more, so I am wondering what the third book will be about.
Thank you to ... 
... Macmillan, who gave me this review copy in exchange of a honest review!

No comments :

Post a Comment