Thursday, May 15, 2014

(Review) Phoenix by Elizabeth Richards

 
 
Title: Phoenix
Author: Elizabeth Richards
Pages: 368
Published: June 4th, 2013
PublisherPutnam Juvenile
Review Copy: No

Why did I want this book?
"Black City" fascinated me, so it was out of question to by the second book as well.
Synopsis:
Weeks after his crucifixion and rebirth as Phoenix, Ash Fisher believes his troubles are far behind him. He and Natalie are engaged and life seems good. But his happiness is short-lived when he receives a threatening visit from Purian Rose, who gives Ash an ultimatum: vote in favor of Rose’s Law permanently relegating Darklings to the wrong side of the wall or Natalie will be killed.
The decision seems obvious to Ash; he must save Natalie. But when Ash learns about The Tenth, a new and deadly concentration camp where the Darklings would be sent, the choice doesn’t seem so simple. Unable to ignore his conscience, Ash votes against Rose’s Law, signing Natalie’s death warrant and putting a troubled nation back into the throes of bloody battle.

Cover:
OMG, I love this cover! It's the best of the whole trilogy. The burning feather is just awesome!

Title:
The title fits perfectly, because the citizens start to call Ash "Phoenix", since he survived his execution.

Writing style:
I'm still totally in love with Elizabeth's writing style and I think it became even better in the second book. The conversations are more fluent and the plot was as thrilling as in the first book. Like in Black City, the story is told from Ash's and Natalie's point of view. Even though it was a bit predictable in certain scenes.

Characters:
We do have three important characters in this book. Of course Ash who really become dear to me this time, because Natalie threatens him like a stupid kid. Now we come to the only thing that bordered me about this book. It becomes way too popular to include breakup/triangular love story/ relationship problems and so on in almost every sequel. Honestly: Why?! This is so boring by now, because in 99 percent of all books, they are happy ever after at the end anyway...
But now, let me introduce you to Elijah. He is a character, we've already met in the first book. Right, he is the Bastet boy, Natalie saved from the laboratory. Now, he joins the book and of course, he is totally into Natalie... I still don't know, if I should love or hate him. Probably both.

Noteworthy:
Good sequel, that leaves you eager to read "Wings", which will be released June, 12th 2014.

Stuck in my Head:
“To sin with a Darkling is to sin against His Mighty.”
What I didn't like:
Natalie bucked the hell out of me and I really wanted to slap her from time to time...

Quick and dirty:
This series is still one of my favorites. Even though, the second book is a bit weaker than the first one, because it was way to predictable when it comes to Ash's and Natalies's relationship. Still, the story is fast paced and the writing style even better than last time. Just the end nearly got me killed. Who the hell invented cliffhangers?! Looking forward to read "Wings"!


No comments :

Post a Comment