Tuesday, May 27, 2014

(Review) Before They Find Us by Michelle A. Hansen

 
 
Title: Before They Find Us
Author: Michelle A. Hansen
Pages: 336
Published: November 20, 2013
PublisherPriest Rapids Press
Review Copy: Yes

Why did I want this book?
I found this book an NetGalley and it looked promising.
Synopsis:
I’m going to make you wish you were dead. Just a text. Seventeen-year-old Rebecca Hales tries not to worry. Probably a wrong number. Not really meant for her, and definitely not related to the crime she witnessed six years ago. Right? Then two states away, a bomb goes off in her best friend's locker. Soon Ryan is labeled a terrorist and runs to the safest place he knows—Rebecca’s house in small-town Wyoming. It doesn’t take long for the FBI to show up asking questions. Rebecca lies, of course, and says she hasn’t seen him. Now she's neck-deep in it with him, whatever "it" is. The only way out is to return to Vegas, where Ryan is a wanted man. The city of lies and illusion tests Rebecca’s wits as she struggles to find the person who framed Ryan and why. Is Rebecca’s text linked to the bombing? And what does it have to do with a six year old murder? Rebecca needs to find out before she loses Ryan—and her own life.

Cover:
They could have done better. The cover image alone didn't get me interested. If it wouldn't have been for the great Synopsis, I would have never read that book.

Title:
The title is great. It gives you a hint of what to expect: A thrill-ride, you are going to love!

Writing style:
The writing style is amazing! Honestly, that describes it pretty much. It just took me a few pages to get so hooked on, that I wasn't able to put it down until I finished it. I think the main reason for my addiction was Rebecca, she is such a great protagonist, that it is easy to sympathize with her. The book is written from the first-person perspective and in such an authentic voice, that it was actually pretty funny, because Rebecca has a great sense of sarcastic humor. Something I enjoy a lot. I could go on and on, but fact is, that the author wrote a great book, using her own voice instead of coping someone else's style. It was a fun and extraordinary read.

Characters:
Rebecca is an ordinary girl, that shouldn't have problems bigger than choosing the right college. But her life changes the day, her best friend is accursed to set up a bomb in his school. She tries to proof his innocence and becomes a target of the real killer and the FBI, because they think she is involved. She is a great character, doing everything for her best friend, that is just awesome. I liked Ryan too, he is a sweet guy. On the one hand, he is afraid of turning himself in, on the other he doesn't want to endanger Rebecca. Actually they all were deep sympathetic characters. Even the antagonist acted in a way that made sense. Great job!

Noteworthy:
I was surprised, how good this book was.

Stuck in my Head:
I lifted my arm from the middle of a cactus, taking at least a dozen little spines with it. The pain shot deep into the muscle, but I pulled myself to my feed. Nothing to see here, people. Never mind the trespasser crossing your back yard. Please don't look out the window to see what the awful groaning was. I tried to look nonchalant as I slipped on my shoes and cut between two houses to the front sidewalk.
What I didn't like:
Nothing to complain.

Quick and dirty:
My highlight of the month! That's how a thriller it should be. Gripping, fast-paced and captivating! Don't miss this book!

Thank you to ...
... NetGalley, who gave me this review copy in exchange of a honest review!

No comments :

Post a Comment