Sunday, January 25, 2015

(Review) Save Me by Jenny Elliot

 
Title: Save Me
Author: Jenny Elliot
Pages: 309
Published: January 6, 2015
PublisherMacmillan US
Review Copy: Yes

Why did I want this book?
I discovered this book on Shelf Awareness and the synopsis sounded great.
Synopsis:
Something strange is going on in the tiny coastal town of Liberty, Oregon. Cara has never seen a whale swim close enough for her to touch it—let alone knock her into the freezing water. Fortunately, cute newcomer David is there to save her, and the rescue leads to a bond deeper than Cara ever imagined.
But then she learns something about David that changes everything, and Cara is devastated. She turns to her best friend for support, but Rachel has changed. She’s suddenly into witchcraft, and is becoming dangerously obsessed with her new boyfriend….
Cara has lost her best friend, discovered that her soul mate is off limits, and has attracted the attention of a stalker. But she’s not completely alone. Her mysterious, gorgeous new friend Garren is there to support her. But is Garren possibly too perfect?

Cover:
The cover is amazing. I am in love with its beautiful colors.

Title:
Yeah, well .. save me from this book would fit too.

Writing style:
Okay, first of all: I disliked the writing style. But not because it was written in third person, I just disliked the way it was told. Do you know the feeling, when you stand in front of a window, not knowing what the people you see though it are up to or even talking about? That's how I felt the whole time. On top of that, it felt like reading the bible. There where so many christian clichés in it, that it almost hurt. It wasn't fun reading it.

Characters:
The protagonist of this book is Cara. She meets a boy named David during work. Of course she is totally into him after they talked five seconds to each other ... It was hard for me to empathize with them, because every character was either good or totally bad. All of them where leaking a proper character development. This totally sucked because I really tried to like them, but I failed. I had to force myself to finish this book.

Noteworthy:
If you liked the book Halo, this one might work for you. It is just as sappy.

Stuck in my Head:
The ocean breeze blew wisps of her hair in her face and David ran his fingers through a  few tendrils. She glanced at his mouth and he leaned down and brushed his lips against hers. The kiss was light, but the flood of warmth between them was the greatest yet, like a fire that turned her bones to ash and set her skin aflame.”
What I didn't like:
One-dimensional characters, clichés and the feeling that the author tried really hard to convince you, that you'll end up in hell, if you don't believe in god. I mean, really?! This is YA, but I get the feeling, that you definitely need to be religious, if you want to enjoy that book.

Quick and dirty:
I think you can guess by now, that the book and I didn't end up being friends. I was missing a captivating plot with improving characters and surprises. I didn't got any of that. As I already said, I had to force myself to read it, therefore: No recommendation from my side.

Thank you to ... 
... Macmillan US, who gave me this review copy in exchange of a honest review!

No comments :

Post a Comment