Saturday, April 19, 2014

(Review) Black City by Elizabeth Richards

 
Title: Black City
Author: Elizabeth Richards
Pages: 384
Published: November 13th 2012
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Review Copy: No

Why did I want this book?
Honestly? I've read an excerpt and got hooked on, after a few pages!
Synopsis:
In a city where humans and Darklings are now separated by a high wall and tensions between the two races still simmer after a terrible war, sixteen-year-olds Ash Fisher, a half-blood Darkling, and Natalie Buchanan, a human and the daughter of the Emissary, meet and do the unthinkable--they fall in love. Bonded by a mysterious connection that causes Ash's long-dormant heart to beat, Ash and Natalie first deny and then struggle to fight their forbidden feelings for each other, knowing if they're caught, they'll be executed--but their feelings are too strong.
When Ash and Natalie then find themselves at the center of a deadly conspiracy that threatens to pull the humans and Darklings back into war, they must make hard choices that could result in both their deaths.

Cover:
I really like the cover image, but I don't think it fits the story. But still, it's pretty and I like seeing the book on my shelf.

Title:
The chosen title is really good, because the story is set in a city called "Black City". It is also the name of the whole series.

Writing style:
I really liked her style. There were a lot of twists in this book as well as a lot of humor. Despite the fact, that we have a dystopian society and vampires, Elizabeth still created something new. The book is told from Ash and Natalies perspective, so we always see the whole plot, but it is still impossible to guess, what will go on next.While I was reading this book, it was like being in a movie. I could almost smell the ash covered city.

Characters:
We have two main characters, Ash, who is a half-blood darkling and Natalie, the Emissary's daughter. While Natalie has everything she wishes for, Ash has to deal Haze (a drug) to pay his bills. I really liked Ash, he doesn't know where he belongs since he isn't human or darkling either. Sometimes I think, the government does't even see him as a living being. He even has to wear an ID-bracelet saying he's the property of his father. When he first meets Natalie by accident, the both dislike each other. Natalie even fears him, because her father was killed by a darkling. Even though the both hooked up a little bit too fast for my taste. Besides the two main characters, there are Day and Beetle. Beetle is Ash's best friend and only friend, while Day is Beetles ex-girlfriend and she really hates Ash for getting him addicted to haze. But since she is hanging out with Natalie, she has to deal with both boys ...

Noteworthy:
Yes ... there are vampires in this book, but surprisingly, it didn't bother me at all. There was also some German history in this book (the wall, ID-bracelets and other things).

Stuck in my Head:
“She's not worth it. You said so yourself, you don't even know if you have feelings for her—"
"Then why does my fragging heart feel like it's been ripped out of my chest?”
What I didn't like:
Yeah well, Ash and Natalie became a couple way too early. I just had the feeling, that I missed a few pages.

Quick and dirty:
I really love this book. It was my best read in 2013! I usually don't like vampire books, but this one was so different and exciting, that I totally forgot about it. It has a great plot, humor, depth and awesome characters. And to be honest, I almost cried at the end of it, because I wasn't sure if there will be a happy ending or not. "Black City" - a unique book you should read!

No comments :

Post a Comment